Sunday, June 26, 2011

Yesterday was fun, but today was a RIOT!

You heard it here first (or not, i have no idea) folks... Riots in the streets of Buenos Aires!!

Don't worry mom, I wasn't anywhere near them, but i saw them on tv.

The reason, dear reader, was this: There was a huge futbol (soccer for you Americans) game between local club River, and another team Belgrano.

The match was to decide River's fate, and there would be riots either way. If they won, the fans would be happy, so they'd riot. If they lost, then the fans would be furious, and there'd be riots.

It was so tense, that embassies sent out emails to their... not sure what to call us... tourists? saying to stay out of that area, and to just watch them match on tv, or the like...

Long story short, River lost, and was relegated down to division 2 for the first time in it's 110 year span. Not surprisingly, this didn't go over very well with the fans... Riots happened as soon as the match ended. For more on that, check out this news post...

The scariest thing is that I had the chance to go to that match, but i turned it down... Some of my friends had gotten a good deal of a tour of the stadium and then the match afterwards. Luckily, nobody I know was hurt.

Now, I turned down that offer in order to go to the The San Telmo Antiques Fair that happens every Sunday. I went with my usual group of buddies, and I had a pretty swell time! Lots of stuff, most of it junk, but some of it very cool! I plan on going next week and getting a Mate gourd among some other little things....

After we went to the fair, we took the Subte back to the apartment (is it weird that we now call it "The apartment", because we spend most of out time there?) and sat down to watch tv. That's when we saw the majority of the rioting, and it was very scary. people were getting very hurt, and it was very intense...

Then we all got pizza and watched tv for a few hours. We watched Transformers (which is actually moderately good when you cant understand the dialogue... [sorry James Malek]), and Dawson's creek, and Dexter. Fun times.

After that, at like 12, Hannah and Nikki went to bed, and so I said goodbye to them, as I wouldn't be seeing them, as they leave tomorrow at 10:30 back to Holland.

So I got a taxi home, and here I am. Quite a day. But It's over now, and tomorrow I have school, but that's life....

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment