Saturday, July 9, 2011

Science, right? What CAN'T it do?

Today was one of the, if not the, best days I've had here.

Starts off on a good note with me getting lots of sleep, but waking up early enough to IM some people bout going to the zoo today. No-one seems to know when, so I bail and decide to explore the city solo.

Might be one of the best choices I've made here. I usually prefer being alone to company, but my friends here have been great to hang out with.

So I leave the house, and set out for my favorite empanada place, to load up for the day...

Sadly enough, they're closed, so I look around for anywhere that might sell them/is open. I find one, and get a few (the ones here are more expensive here than the other place). It's amusing to me that I dont see Argentinians eating while traveling very often. I have a bag of 4 empanadas, and I eat them as I go! Makes sense to me!

So, I head out to the "Centro Cultural Recoleta", to look for a museum that I had heard was great, but when I get to the place, I'm greeted by a HUGE sprawling tourist market! Now, I dont usually play the tourist card, so I figured I might as well do so now...

Nothing really of interest, but I had a nice time walking around.

When I was finished wandering, I went to the main Tourist local of the area, the Recoleta Cemetery, and walked arond there for a while, taking pictures of the mausoleums and such. I got a picture of Eva Peron's tomb, which wasn't as crazy as I expected it to be. It was a plain enough building, not nearly as decked out as some of it's neighbors... The thing that surprised me the most though, was the amounts of stray cats everywhere! I must've seen like 20 at least, just in the cemetery!

Sooo, then I was done with cats and dead people for the day.

I then pulled a Toby and asked like 4 people for directions (He'll be so proud!), and once I got them, went to the museum I had set out to find.

The museum in question is called "Museo Participativo de Ciencias" which loosely translates to: "THE COOLEST FREAKING MUSEUM SLASH ARGENTINIAN SCIENCE MUSEUM FOR KIDS EVER!!" It's motto/slogan type thing even is: "Prohibido NO tocar", which means: "Not touching is Prohibited". How cool is that?

It's one of those science museums like the Tech in San Jose, or the Exploratorium in SF.

Even though I knew most of (read as ALL) the scienc, and was about 6-9 years older then the kids there, I still had a fun time trying to figure out what the signs were saying.

My favorite moment of all though, was then a kid of like 8 or 9 looks at my shirt (Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.), does a double take, fires off some rapid fire Spanish at me, then gives me a high five..

Made my week.

So after I was done with the museum (an hour) I walk downstairs to the art gallery, and spend about the same amount of time there, looking at works of art.

Not nearly as fun, but still enjoyable.

When I'm done doing that, I walk back to the homestay, stopping in a few shops, and getting a few things.

And here I am! I'd write more, but no more has happened, yet. I've been invited to a party later tonight, and I'll leave relatively soon after posting this.

No comments:

Post a Comment